Friday, September 25, 2009

Not a Complete Fan

I’m not a fan of the complete womens movement. I am not anti-woman, and I am all in favor of equal rights, equal pay and all that jazz. But I am not a fan of someday knowing I’m going to end up with 2 jobs: workplace and domestic, eventually I will be working 24/7.

There was an interesting segment on tv regarding how womens happiness has declined since the 70’s. I contribute this to expecting women to join the work force then go home and have dinner waiting for Don, Sally, and little Jimmy.

What was so wrong with a man being the bread winner and the woman staying at home? Running a household is a full-time job. This is not a view I’ve always had- in fact, I’ve always been very vocal about how both parents should contribute to the family income, and how that sets a good example for what a good work ethic is for your kids, etc.

But now that I’m here I don’t see how I would be able to hold this 8-5 and come home and have energy to put food on the table, help with homework, do laundry and all of the other 900 activities kids are doing these days.

My mom is self employed- she works, but makes her own schedule. That’s what I want. I want to be able to still provide for myself and have my own money but have the freedom to be and work at home if I choose.

I totally used to think it was bad for a girl to say I just want to get married and be a stay at home-mom. I don’t want that completely, but it goes back to having enough time in the day to complete everything that needs to be done- it’s just not possible.

It's not a detriment to women, but you can’t ask anyone, man or woman, to do that much in one day and then ask them to be able to perform in bed. If you can... BRAVO because I’m already exhausted when I come home from work and I don’t have a boyfriend, husband, kids, the whole she-bang. I don’t even have a pet.

If you hadn't guessed that's the logo for Mad-Men. A phenomenal show on AMC, Sundays at 10 PM EST. It's not necessarily a pretty picture of how things used to be, or should be, but I really do love how a man went to work, the kids went off to school, and the women took care of everything else- and damn it going to the hair salon once a week to get pampered is awesome.

No comments: