Wednesday, November 5, 2008

History Being Made...

It didn't matter if you voted red or blue, conservative or liberal, Republican or Democrat, donkey or elephant, Obama or McCain- history was going to be made last night and it was. Barack Obama is our President-elect, until his official inauguration in January.

I stayed up last night which seemed to fly since this time as we new right at 11:00 pm that Barack had swept up California, Washington, and Oregon which would give him the 270+ electoral votes.. but enough about what happened last night because we all know...

I just want to say how amazing it was to go to bed last night and wake up this morning thinking how I am a part of history. This is my 2ND time voting in a Presidential election, but it was the first time I felt my vote stood for something and really mattered. What I found incredible was the fact this morning we saw Barack Obama had 349 electoral votes which isn't even the official number. This was a huge win, something I don't remember happening in other elections of my lifetime.

Change is definitely here- I think this election stood for something bigger than ourselves. This election has brought change to the ways of old politics and will forever change the face (no pun intended) of democracy. His speech was powerful, moving, yet extremely humble. This is the new generation of politics and I'm so excited to be a part of it.

I went on Facebook this morning to see what some of my friends were saying, both Obama and McCain supporters and found their status posts fascinating.. here are a few (who shall remain nameless).

" It's been a long time coming, but tonight, because of what we did on this day, in this election, at this defining moment, change has come to America"

" Is still drunk, but celebrated the landslide with Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid"

" Is suffering through all the nonsense"

"Is proud of his counrty"

" Is thrilled to be alive during this historic time"

" Had the night to sleep on it and is still pissed"

"Is glad she made her own political choices and not one her parents raised and made for her"

"Is emotionally overloaded, blessed for all I have, but pained by what i see"

" Is proud to be AMERICAN! MY VOTE COUNTED AND SO DID YOURS!"

" Is on Barack Cloud 9. I drank the Koolaid and it tastes good!"

" Is thanking Baby Jesus"


I've already saved a few newspapers (one to read and one to save) and I can't wait to see what happens to this country. Things can only get better and I have an awesome respect for the man who will lead us back to greatness.

No comments: