So I never thought this would probably be the first of several cross roads, but I’m turning 24 in 2 months and have come to realize that I’m ready for change! Whoa, hold the personal phone right?! Eh not really. I think I have an idea of figuring this out.It’s not to say I’m not happy with my life, my choices and everyday decisions, my career choice, and all of the other things that one could possibly think are all contributing factors to making their life unhappy.
I just feel a little stuck right now. Some of you remember my plans to get up and move away for a little bit across the pond and over to London, but their economy is just as bad, if not worse than ours right now so that was put on hold. I then thought of moving to another US city, but the ones I’m interested in are having the same problems. I was about a year to late in deciding I wanted to venture out in the world.
I can deal with that, but I'm not sure if I'm up for sitting at a desk for 8+ hours a day? May be it's not work, but may be it's something new entirely. If it is work though it's a scary thought to just want to get up and try another place.
Why is that scary? Because I make a good living right now, I’m very comfortable. There is a new possible opportunity that I have been targeted for and the salary plunged. It plungggggggged. My old manager advised me that I shouldn’t provide a salary range I think they CAN afford- rather one I think I deserve.
I’m absolutely generalizing, but in my opinion, women have a more difficult time negotiating salaries than men. I’ve gotten good practice though, after 6 months at my current job I asked for a significant raise which I got. And there after have been treated very well in the salary department.
All the same, is it worth to stay at a place that provides financial security, but remain "stuck" I did however give a range, that actually boosted my salary by a good amount- because yes, I feel I am deserving and I’m good at what I do. I say that with a strong conviction. My dad is a realist, my mom is an optimist, and I’m a mix of both.
So far I’ve been receiving a slow yes, rather than a quick no- so we’ll see how this goes.
P.S. Off the wall is on Pandora, which seems appropriate for 8:40 am and this blog.
No comments:
Post a Comment